The skin on your lips is special. It’s thinner and has no oil glands. That means no in-built protection against the elements. To avoid dry, cracked lips, it makes sense to have a lip balm routine that provides a layer of protection.
There are people who confess to being ‘lip balm addicts’, because they can’t bear the feeling of bare lips. It’s fine to be a bit obsessive about applying lip balm, but only if you’re using the right stuff.
Is Your Lip Balm Good For You?
Some lip balms contain ingredients that do more damage than good. They dry the lips out, rather than providing a protective moisturising layer. Anything that contains salicylic acid, menthol, phenol or camphor can cause dryness or inflammation.
The newest lip balm to arrive on New Zealand bedside tables is from ManukaRx. Along with manuka oil, ManukaRx LIP BALM contains castor seed oil, sweet almond oil, coconut oil, beeswax, vitamin E and and shea butter. These ingredients are valuable skin conditioners to moisturise, regenerate and protect outer dermal layers of the lips. And manuka oil is an antibacterial, which may help any possiblilty of cracked or chafed lips.
When to use ManukaRx® Lip Balm for lip health:
- Put on a thin layer before you apply lipstick, to protect lip skin from the artificial colouring.
- Apply before exercising outdoors, especially if you’re breathing hard through your mouth.
- Use at night, before you turn out the light.
- Apply regularly during the day if you work in an air-conditioned environment, which has drier air.
Other top tips for lips:
- Drink enough water, to keep skin and lips hydrated.
- Don’t lick your lips – enzymes in saliva can damage the barrier function of the outer dermal layer.
- Know your balms – avoid those with salicylic acid, menthol, phenol or camphor; look for beeswax, shea butter, cocoa butter and oils containing vitamin E.
- Gently use a little facial exfoliator on your lips a couple of times a week, to remove dead skin.
- If you’re female, choose lipstick with an SPF factor.
ManukaRx are lip balm is being launched to the market and you can find it here. There's nothing quite like it, we have been able to remove the manuka fragrance but keep the antibacterial activity, it's really something worth a try
Keen to try a free sample of our popular Manuka Ointment?
We ship samples to both NZ & Australia!Get a Sample